Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Millet Salad

Goodness me oh my, I have fallen rather behind! This was supposed to be posted on Friday, but then...

Anyway, today's offering is of the foodie variety. As we head into summer, I try to come up with yummy, make ahead salads to keep on hand. I throw together some veg, grain and protein for a well rounded, healthy nosh. I thought I'd share a recipe for a Millet and vegetable salad that makes a lovely side dish, or if you are like me, you might like to eat it as a meal for lunch, or a late afternoon snack when you could use a little boost.

Millet seems to be a grain that has fallen out of fashion a little here in the US; I recall it being a big deal in the late 70's health food circuit. I keep it on hand for breads and cereal mostly, but it makes a wonderful grain for salad as well.

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chickpea and Millet Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing

1 c millet
2 c water
1/2 head broccoli, broken into florets
1/2 head small cauliflower cut into florets
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
3-4 scallions chopped
zest of 1 lemon


dressing:
1 garlic clove, minced
3 T tahini
4 T olive oil
2 T hot water (more if necessary)
juice from 1 lemon
salt & pepper
*1-2 T almond butter or peanut butter (optional)

Begin by draining and rinsing the chickpeas, set aside.

Toast millet in a small saucepan on medium heat, stirring often, until it starts to crackle. Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until all of the water is absorbed.

Steam broccoli and cauliflower until just slightly tender or broccoli is bright green, drain and rinse under cold water. You could omit the cauliflower if you are not a fan, or use another combo of vegies altogether.

In a large bowl combine the Millet, steamed vegetables, chopped scallions, chickpeas lemon zest and toss.

Make the dressing by combining and whisking all of the ingredients together, add water as needed to get the right consistency. * Note: The brand of tahini I have on hand is a little bitter, so I added a couple of Tablespoons of almond butter to the dressing to smooth it out, adding peanut butter would have the same result. I suggest making the dressing without, and then having a taste to see how you like it. Oh, I also added a little over a teaspoon of honey to the dressing!

Add half of the dressing to the millet mixture and toss until incorporated.


You can add a base of baby greens with the salad and serve with a lemon wedge. Drizzle some of the remaining dressing over the top. I found it quite good with a dollop of plain yogurt on top too!

Enjoy!


12 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Love this post..the photos are great, I can almost smell those lovely green onions. This salad has it all and not too heavy either, just right for the summer. xo

chriswreckage said...

This sounds delightful! I wish I could come up with things like this - as opposed to peanut butter sandwiches. Thank you for using the term 'chickpeas' instead of 'garbanzos.' I have a serious issue with that name. It's almost as bad as 'gazebo.'

Flaming Nora said...

Ok couple of rashers of bacon on the side and it might be ok! Looks delish.

Katiebee said...

yum! putting this on our next menu~ thanks for sharing!

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Looks yummy! Must try this recipe - especially since I've been looking for something different to serve. Thanks for sharing ♥

. said...

YOUR BACK... hoo bloomin' rah! Lovely looking salad too xx

vintage grey said...

Looks so yummy, and a perfect salad for summer!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope you are having a lovely week! xo Heather

harmony and rosie said...

Sounds and looks delicious, and so healthy too. Perfect for our sunny weather right now. We went through a stage of eating millet, quinoa and amaranth (although that one went down quite badly) but the children are grain free for the moment so that's gone by the wayside. It's definitely the sort of thing I'd made for myself though .. reminds me of the gorgeous grub we ate at 'Wholefoods' x

Annie Cholewa said...

Now this is exactly my kind of salad ... thank you so much for the recipe :D

june at noon said...

Mmmm, that looks good! We use quinoa quite a bit, haven't tried millet....

Tania said...

I KNOW I'd be in like Flynn if it were summer in these parts. I know it. But it's so freakin' freezing here today, my reaction is to add stock and slooooooooow cook. Hmn.

willow and moo said...

You hippy, you. Bet you have a Moosewood Cookbook. :p

I do!